Monday, June 9, 2014

Captain America Process

I wanted to do a post on my process for the Captain America drawing I did a few weeks ago. Again, I had a lot of fun working on it. I started off drawing the rough poses for each character in my sketch book. Once I had the poses down, I used reference for each character suit depending on what version I wanted to use. Between the movies and comics universes, I had a lot of options to choose from. Once I had all that figured out, I did a rough sketch on 11x17 Blue Line Pro.  After I scanned it it, I reworked some of the poses. Some digitally, while others I printed out and sketched over. 



A neat tricked I picked up from a coworker a few years back really helped me out. If something seems off in your image and your not sure what, flip it! If you flip the canvas (image) Horizontal in Photoshop, or use a light table to see through the paper while its flipped over, you can see what is off in the drawing. This comes in handy in any sort of sketching and even animation. I'll see if I can do a post about this handy trick in the near feature!


Once I had all the sketches looking how I wanted, I brought them back into Photoshop and tighten up the composition. With all that set, I started my digital inking, which I want to get better at and try different styles. Right now, my inking isn't much besides black lines to define the character cloths, muscles, ect. After that, I put a thicker black line around the character. 


When I started this drawing, I knew I would have a shield in the foreground blocking the lower halves of the characters. After that I decided to add the America Flags to each side to help contain the composition. Next I started adding color to the image and decided to add a yellow tint to it at the end.


Until next time, 

-Tim

No comments: