Monday, September 7, 2015

Pirate Arrival Illustration



After attending Motor City Comic Con this year I was commissioned to do two new illustrations that added to my original Pirate Illustration story. The two added parts of the story would be the Pirates reaching the island, and then the Pirates trying to escape the island. This is the first part where they arrived.


I wanted to make sure the theme stayed the same through out all 3 illustrations by keeping the characters and their traits through out. With the Captain consumed with money, he is twirling a golden coin on his fingers while his Second in command is busy checking out the mermaids. Both are to distracted by everything they want that they don't see the octopus pulling away their boat off into the ocean. Another small thing I wanted to keep the same through out all 3 illustration is the horizon line in the background. I wanted to make sure that it was in the same place through out all 3 illustration. 


After the first initial sketch, I worked mostly in Sketch Book Pro. When I was happy with the characters and environments, I printed the characters separate from the environment and did a quick tiedown with a red pencil. After that I scanned the images back into Photoshop and did the inking and coloring there. 

Getting the poses down wasn't to bad this time around, though this time I did use some of my own live action reference. Keeping the characters on model did turn out to be a little tricky for this illustration, I had to go back a couple of times to tweak features here and there.  


Next week I'll be posting the second illustration. Thanks for stopping by,

-Tim

No comments: